Monday 7 October 2013

Mickey's Clubhouse Cake

A few weeks ago, I got an order for a Mickey's Clubhouse cake through a coworker.  I'd never actually heard of Mickey's clubhouse before this, and was worried I may have to sculpt an actual Mickey out of fondant, but this wasn't the case :)



The customers were very specific about what they wanted, so my coworker provided me with this sketch.

They were going to provide figurines (Mickey, Minnie and Goofy) to place on the cake and wanted a non-edible topper to have as a keepsake on top of a 9" confetti cake.











I started my research by looking up what the clubhouse actually looks like.
 
Once I got a feel for the proportions I needed, I bought various size styrofoam balls for the body, head and ears.

As I don't like the taste of store bought fondant, I decided to make my own marshmallow fondant (mmf).  I've had some problems before with marshmallow fondant, finding it difficult to roll out, so I tried a new recipe...Elizabeth Marek's Fondant Recipe (lmf).  The only difference between the two is, adding a little bit of store bought fondant to regular marshmallow fondant.  This makes it much more pliable and easy to work with it, but with a much better flavour than store bought!

For the fondant, I made four different batches...white, green, black and red.  I find adding colour to the melted marshmallows is much easier than kneading it in, so although I had to do several more dishes to make multiple batches for different colours, it is still easier than making one batch of white and kneading in the colours after.  For the black fondant, I used melted chocolate, cocoa powder and black gel colouring to get it dark.  For the red fondant, I used red candy melts and red gel colouring.  I found that it still wasn't as red as I would like, so I painted the 'body' of the clubhouse with a little vodka and red gel colouring.  For small details like the yellow shoe or blue windows, I mixed gel colouring into the white fondant batch by hand.


Well before the cake was due, I put together the topper parts and left them to dry.  To make the parts I covered styrofoam with shortening and then covered them with fondant that had been mixed with some gum-tex.  For the fingers, I free formed fondant with gum-tex and attached it with toothpicks to the styrofoam palm. 

A day after, I covered a 6" cake board (in the same colour that the cake was going to be in) with fondant and assembled the parts.  This was left to dry even further.

The next day, I added some more details.

A day before I was going to deliver, I made a batch of white chocolate ganache and left it to set.

The evening of delivery, I torted, filled and covered the cake with ganache, then left it in the fridge to set for about an hour.  During this time, I kneaded and rolled out the fondant.

Working quickly once the cake was out of the fridge, I misted it lightly with water to help the fondant stick and covered it with the rolled fondant.  Then I went to work smoothing it out with a fondant smoother. 



I placed a small round of parchment on top of the cake (so the customer could easily remove the topper), then placed the topper on top.  I used a fondant border to hide the edge of the topper's cake board. 






To make the letters, I used Tappits, which allowed me to cut the letters out of thinly rolled fondant with gum-tex. 






To make the grass, I pushed some green fondant through a mesh strainer and cut off little chunks.




For the toodles, I printed out a picture and stuck it to some gumpaste.  The fence was all hand cut from rolled fondant.  

This cake was a lot of work, but I'm glad that it turned out well and the customer enjoyed it!



No comments:

Post a Comment