Thursday 6 June 2013

Week 8: Cookies







This week was all about cookies.  I showed up early to class to scale the ingredients, just to find out into the class that my partner wasn't coming, so looks like I'm doing double the work, but that also means double the cookies for me :)






We learned how to make spritz cookies, which are named after the German word spritzen which means to squirt.  The cookie dough is made but then piped(squirted) out of a piping bag.  The dough was pretty basic, a mixture of butter, shortening, icing sugar, flour, vanilla, eggs and lemon zest.






We learned that icing sugar often contains corn starch which helps make whatever you are making, melt in your mouth while preventing it from caking, which is good for this shortbread like cookie.  Also, letting any type of zest sit in sugar before incorporating helps bring out the flavour and oils in the zest.


If I was to make this again, I think I would add more lemon zest or some other flavouring and substitute all butter for the shortening as that gives it a better flavour.






With this dough, we piped it into various different shapes and once finished, decorated with chocolate different ways as well.  We also had the choice of making sandwich cookies with jam in the middle and obviously I decided to make some of those too :)  When I got home, I made some more sandwiches with Nutella, who doesn't love that stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment