Monday 21 October 2013

Apple Crisp


Over the thanksgiving long weekend, I had to work :(  So there was no turkey for me...

But this weekend, my cousin decided to have a belated thanksgiving meal with my family...yay :) I offered to bring dessert.  Originally I had wanted to make pumpkin pie, as would be customary for thanksgiving, but since my mom seriously doesn't like it, I went with apple crisp...my brother's choice.

Diced Apples
My boss was generous enough to give me a set of 30 ramekins which she wasn't using (so nice of her!), so I thought this would be the perfect excuse to use them!

The recipe was straight forward and it turned out pretty well.  The thing that took the longest was just peeling, coring and slicing the apples.

Crumble Topping
If I was to make it again, I think I'd use more topping for each ramekin, slightly less lemon juice on the apples and add cinnamon to the apples, not just the topping.  I tripled the recipe and made 12 servings.  I served it directly out of the oven, so next time, I think I'll let it cool down a bit more and serve it with some ice cream.







Recipe taken from myrecipes.com

Yield: 4 servings

1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts  
4 tablespoons sugar 
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar 
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
Salt  
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted  
3 large tart-sweet apples (such as Braeburn, Gala or McIntosh), peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes  
2 teaspoons lemon juice

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, walnuts, 2 Tbsp. of sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Pour butter over dry ingredients and mix with a fork, breaking up any large chunks. Set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine apple cubes with remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and lemon juice, tossing to coat. Divide among four small oven-safe ramekins and top each with 1/4 of walnut mixture.
  3. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until fruit is soft and topping is browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment